Saturday 24 July 2010

Day One: We're Here for Eternity

First of all an apology. Lorain, I am sorry for slagging off the printed maps. They did indeed come in handy today. You were correct and I was wro……..I was wrrrrrrrr. I was stronger than you on the climbs.

Cornwall is bloody hilly. In 104km of cycling we did 1700m of climbing with heavy bikes and 11kg of panniers. The minor roads were lovely and leafy and traffic free and the descents were winding and fast. I got up 60km/hr on the downhills and my heavy bike felt really secure. My sphincter was a different matter altogether.

When in Cornwall, do like the Cornwallishers. And I don’t mean marry your sister and listen to the Wurzels, I mean eat pasties. Not only are they perfect cycling food, when served in Cornwall they are to die for. So Day One is done and it was hard……..but wasn’t a killer. And whilst Golant YHA is not as celubrious as that in Penzance, it has incredible views out towards Exmoor and it is cheaper. Yay.


 
On the dinner menu tonight is ‘Beef in Betty’ – it’s got my name all over it. I am sharing a dormitory with a big hairy German backpacker. He has a beard and keeps smiling at me. I am hoping that he doesn’t fancy putting his Beef in Betty.

4 comments:

  1. oooh... Tomorrow I see you have a bit longer ride with a bit more climbing than today. Would you say the hedge training was sufficient for this? Coach Troy may want to incorporate it in his workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so how come your itinerary is in miles and your blog is in km? is that so it sounds further, or cos it felt further on the day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah! You were wr...stronger on the climbs? That is hilarious! My sister had a cycling companion (we'll call her "terry") notice she lost weight, but after uncomfortably complimenting my sister "Terry" said, "But I still have more power than you do". haha!

    Congrats on the amazingly crazy vacation! I"m enjoying your blog!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay here goes. First of all thanks for the comments everyone. I am so enjoying writing it and glad that you are following it.

    Diane - I think that hedge cutting should now be incorporated into every athletes training programme. I couldn't have done it without you. Inspired idea. And just in case anyone is reading this, I'd just like to point out that on Sunday, Diane did Ironman Lake Placid. Her first Ironman. Yay

    Linda - It's coz my garmin is measured in km but I set this up in miles. It just so HAPPENS that is sounds longer. Thought to be honest, the SOUNDING longer is nowhere near as painful as the BEING the same distance.

    Bethany - I am right there with Terry, until such time that yoru sister generates more watts then it will be a competition of 'who has the hairiest legs'.

    ReplyDelete