Tuesday 27 July 2010

Day Three - Zider and Faggots

Everything hurts. My bottom hurts in the three different places (Cornwall, Devon and Somerset). My shoulders hurt and my legs hurt all over. My eyes hurt from all the sweat and sun cream. When you are in this much pain and you find yourself in Somerset, there is only one solution. Scrumpy. You can tell that Somerset is the home of scrumpy. There are orchards everywhere, the pubs have a choice of up to 50 different ciders and the locals drive like they have had a skinful of the stuff before they got behind the wheel. So far we have had Cornish pasties and Devonshire ice-cream. Today it was Somerset cider and a mouthful of local faggots. What’s not to like. 



Today's ride was glorious. It was 115km of which 110km was hot and rolling and the last 5km was straight up a 20% climb to the top of the Mendip hills. I felt like Alberto Contador and I looked like Albert Steptoe. At the top was a viewing point and I had the most fantastic view of Glastonbury and Wells Cathedral and nearly all of Somerset. I was watching the view for ages - I was waiting for Lorain (because I am much stronger on the climbs – did I mention that). But that just shows how high we climbed. I just climbed it a lot faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment