Friday 6 August 2010

Day Six - Breaking the Mould

"When lads have done with labour, In Shropshire, one will cry
"Let's go and kill a neighbour,"And t'other answers "Aye!" - Humbert Wolfe

During LEJOG phase 1, a set pattern to our days emerged. Cycle 100km+ and then go up a really steep climb for 5km to get to a youth hostel which is in the middle of nowhere and has no wifi. Be kept awake all night by snoring ramblers with bits of food stuck in their beards. You then check how big your saddle sore has got that day compared to the day before. It’s quite easy to do with a few yoga pastures and a mirror. I did get some funny looks in the communal bathroom, squatting on the edge of the sink with my head between my knees.

Just like the US electorate, we voted for change. So LEJOG phase 2 has dumped the YHA. It’s BnB all the way baby. And today’s BnB is beautiful. Hordley Hall is right in the middle of the Shropshire countryside and Hazel, the owner, has kept nearly all the original features. I can report that the B is kingsize and firm and I will report on the other B tomorrow. The signs are good though as we have already been offered fully cooked, fully cooked vegetarian and porridge. Naturally I said “Yes” to all of the above. No joy in our search for a slice of authentic Shropshire Fidget Pie - at first I thought she said "Fitchett Pie" but that would have too much even for me to get my mouth round.  

Today’s ride was dominated by the roads and the weather. All morning there was MIZZLE (which is a mxture of MIst and driZZLE). Lunchtime was characterised by FRINGIN (FReaking pourING raIN). Luckily we were in a cafĂ© for the worst of it. The bikes didn’t get off that lightly. The roads were mostly in fantastic nick. They must have known we were coming because a lot of the route had been re-laid with chippings. They must have also known that I was en route because all the signs warned other road users of “Skid Risk”. Though how they knew the state of my cycling shorts, I will never know.

1 comment: