Friday 23 July 2010

Weighty Matters

"I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks" - Totie Fields

Cyclists are obsessed with weight. Cycling is easier if you have less weight to carry. Michael Rasmussen (left) went to extremes to reduce his weight. It was said that he drilled holes in his head and shaved his bike frame (or something). The end result was that he fell off his bike 5 times in one stage of the Tour de France in 2005 and his bum looks really big in those shorts. Amateurs are not much better. Rather than eat a few less pies, us weekend road warriors will think nothing of spending an extra £2,000 on a superlight carbon fibre bike that weighs 2kg less than their current bike.

By my calculation, each kilogram of weight saved on a bike means you pay £1,000 more to the bike manufacturer. If it worked the other way, I have put three bottle cages on my bike, strapped 45 litre panniers on the back and packed them with 11kg of stuff. By my calculations, Dawes owe me £12,000.

The packing was fun. Clearly I cannot leave without my netbook (1.2kgs with power lead) so to keep the weight down I had to compromise on underpants (1 pair). I will always be able to get on line in Starbucks it's just that no-one will want to sit in the same shop whilst I do it. Lorain adopted the Rasmussen methd. The kitchen scales were out and her trousers were selected based on the fact that they were 100g lighter than the alternative pair. Here's hoping she adopts his physique as well. NOT.

4 comments:

  1. How did number five of your Nightmare Nine work out? Did the tactic of avoiding pies containing chocolate work? ;)
    "5. Lose 2kgs in weight (72 kgs to 70kgs - no chocolate)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah well as of this morning I was 72kg. But with panniers I was 83kg. FAIL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prediction: You'll be 69kg when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh another challenge. Nightmare nine is still alive and well

    ReplyDelete